Re: old browsers (was: web safe background)

by "Rebecca Campbell" <nerdygirl(at)nerdygirl.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:11:17 -0800
 To:  "Peter Schonefeld" <peter.schonefeld(at)bigpond.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
hi peter,

personally, i want to believe that we can forget about old browsers.  now.
i would love to never test a page in netscape 4.x again.  i will sometimes
even say things like, "people with old browsers don't count" because it
makes for a nice microsecond of freedom...  however, i don't actually
believe these things and i will continue to test my pages in older browsers
and even spend time fixing them for these browsers simply because i know
that people are using them.  i have enough friends and family members who
are complete technophobes that the "but new browsers are free" argument
doesn't really hold a lot of weight.  for a lot of people, the idea of
downloading a browser (and then actually installing it) is scary.

we're getting close, and eventually, we'll get there.  i just don't think
we're there yet.

some stats on this can be found at
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/January/browser.html.

rebecca