Re: Trial period possible?

by "Bob Laurence" <webguy(at)re-data.com>

 Date:  Sat, 7 Dec 2002 07:34:18 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
<vampyre(at)bigpond.net.au>
  todo: View Thread, Original
write html code that will effectively disable itself after a
certain time period?<<<<<<

Well........

If you want to attempt this, which by the way I have never tried
because I have never thought of it.

but I am sure it will work :)

Use Perl, Chron and htaccess and a preconfigured index.html file
to replace the index.htm file if they do not pay after a set
time.

But as suggested before the best way is to get paid in full
before you upload to their directory.  I believe in using a
staging are until final payment.

The easiest way to combat this is as said do not upload to their
server until paid.    You can make a redirect so they see new
site when they type in their URL but it is actually on your
server

as an example

www.arkansasoptometric.org has a meta refresh to
re-data.com/arkansas. This was done only because they do not have
the necessary Perl and SSI installed on current server. Once they
do install we will upload the new site to their server.  Here is
old site http://www.arkansasoptometric.org/old/  But in any event
the same scenario can be played out for any work until final
payment.

The use of Perl, Chron etc is the hard way to accomplish the
protection you are looking for.

sincerely,
Bob Laurence
Re-Data.com LLC
"We may not know it all, but we know the web"