Re: Solution - A Perfect Web Site!

by Gregor Pirnaver <gregor.pirnaver(at)email.si>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:30:12 +0100
 To:  "Sathish C. Bramhan" <sathish(at)bramhan.net>
 Cc:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
About W3C:
They publish recommendations. They can't do miracles.

On Tuesday 13 February 2001 19:07 you wrote:
> I'm upset because for the last two days on HWG
> forums, people are arguing everything except giving a
> practical solution.

Things like this shouldn't upset you. This is how email=20
communication works. (i.e. don't write so that people can=20
understand you, write so that people cannot missunderstand=20
you).

> Some people say the client should be happy. Some, stick
> to the standards. The challenge is to, "Make the client
> happy and still stick to the standards."
>
> Does anyone of you have a solution? Can you do it?

Note that you are artificially limiting yourself. DOM is=20
the biggest problem when you are sticking to standards.

You can still do allot. Is that enough?
You can't replicate everything your client sees on the web!
The real question is: "Why are you sticking with standards?"

> The question is very simple. What will you do when you
> get a graphics in the form of a psd? Everyone wants this
> psd to be converted to a web page. They want it to
> conform to w3c standards and to work in all the browsers
> - 4+. You have to do it. Whether NN6 is full of bugs or
> not. There is no choice.

Sometimes you have to use some "tricks". Like specifying a=20
diffrent dtd location so that NN6 doesn't interpret tables=20
the way no browser has done before. And like using @import=20
url() statment in your CSS so that IE3 and NN4 ignore that=20
part of CSS.

These are not the cleanest solutions, but they are valid,=20
simple and most importantly they work.

--=20
Gregor @ Mandrake 7.2 -> KDE 2.0 -> Kmail 1.1.99 -> ;-)