Re: .Biz domains - what are the issues?

by "Damon" <damon(at)TailoredWebDesign.com>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:19:53 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Here's what I've listed so far .....
 >
 > (1) .biz domains are global, so when you've got a name you've got it
 > worldwide, whereas .com, .co.nz, .com.au, .co.uk etc aren't.
 >
 > (2)  If you don't pre-register your name in the .biz domain, someone else
 > can end up taking your name.  This might or might not be a problem
depending
 > on how important the .biz domains become.   Do you guys think that these
new
 > domains will ultimately be as important as the .com domains?
 >
 > (3) If you don't pre-register your name you could find your own domain
owned
 > by an opportunist who will hold your name to ransom until you buy it from
 > him at whatever price he wants.
 >
 > (4) If you have high traffic, someone else could use your name in one of
 > these new tlds  and use it to drive traffic to their site, parasitically.
 > So you could end up with your customers being directed to a porn site or
 > anything.  And all at your cost.
 >
 > (4) Compared to the potential cost of having your name held to ransom or
 > used by a competitor or even a porn site the cost of the new domains are
 > chickenfeed.
 >
 > Is there anything else that needs to be taken into consideration?

I think the whole .Biz domain promotion is a big phony hype to enrich the
domain registrars.

1. How are they more "global" than any other domain? All legitimate domains
can be accessed world wide. (that's why it's called the World Wide Web)

2. No one can take a trademarked name, and even if someone registers you
exact company name as a .biz, so what? Who's going to type in
YourCompany.biz instead of YourCompany.com? I don't think .biz or any other
domain will ever be competitive with .com.

3. Good luck opportunist, see number 2.

4. This one doesn't make any sense to me. Could you explain how this would
work? Popular sites can be poached by registering a common misspelling,
Yawho.com, Yahooo.com, or Yahoos.com would catch some traffic and guess
what? Yahoo Inc. owns the first two and the third is registered to a company
in OK with no website, I'll bet Yahoo Inc. was responsible for this.

If your clients want to buy more domains I'd think their money would be
better spent on any obvious variations of their domain.

But tell me, how could .biz (or .net or .org) pull this off? And what cost
are you talking about.

4. I don't care about chickenfeed but I really don't like this whole blind
aution the .biz people are promoting. I'm not alone on this.
http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,45584,00.html

Damon Linkous
Memphis Tennessee
http://www.TailoredWebDesign.com