Re: MSSmartTagsPreventParsing

by "Angel One" <angelone(at)angelonearth.net>

 Date:  Sun, 21 Apr 2002 04:45:33 -0400
 To:  "HWG list" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
    Hi Nathan, Christie, Rudy, cbirds,
Please see ***** below:

> >...Know what? I'm going to add a re-direct on all my sites
> >for folks using I.E.6 to a page telling them I refuse to submit my
websites
> >to a browser that adds content without my consent, & would they please
use a
> >browser other than I.E.6+ to access this website! Explain how they work;
> >then add links to everything I can find on smart tags.
>
> I would suggest (if you want to something like this at all) that you just
> have your sniffing script add a little paragraph somewhere on the page
> (unobtrusively) that makes a note of the "smart"tags issue, with a link to
> a page that goes all out explaining your stance.
******* This makes sense, especially since as Christie says it's just the
beta version. However, what if they do it again (start putting it back in
I.E.) & don't tell anyone? How may folks will be using it before it's known
& how many will keep using it out of apathy or ignorance?

> I think it's rash to lose business over, but I fully agree with making
your
> feelings known. If no one says anything, then nothing will keep the (or
> any) evil giant from doing what they want. Public opinion *does* matter,
> sometimes, but it has to be big enough. (i.e. enough people would have to
> do related things like this to make it a big enough deal to matter.)
****** Well actually it's not like I have much business anyway - LOL! But
*thanks* for understanding why I think this type of crap is soooo important!
It's one of those "if everybody did it" type of thing, just like the fake
e-mail addresses for the spambots. Well I'm old & jaded/callused/stubborn
enough to do them!

***** Thanks!

> ~Nathan Lyle

Christie says:
EVERY  &^$##$% PAGE ???

Don't you do that with other types of meta tags anyway?
Like <META NAME="author" CONTENT="Paul"> ?
Or <META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">  ?
****** Yes but it's to ADD content, not PREVENT UNWANTED MEDDLING with my
websites! And CERTAINLY not to feed the dirty evil anti-freedom corporate
evironment that Gates is a MAJOR part of!!!

I just add all of those things to my template so I can forget about them!
******* Me too, but I shouldn't HAVE to in order to keep mickysoft from
changing my pages! To just allow this to happen without doing anything to me
is unconscionable. How many more will we HAVE to add next year? The year
after that? Adding them in the template is fine for future pages, what about
ALL the pages we've already built through the years?
Thanks for the input.

*smile*

Cheers
Christie Cooksey  :0)
http://www.thearmidalemall.com
http://www.designedbychristie.com

Rudy says:
> HAVING to add meta tags to EVERY  &^$##$% PAGE!!!

paul, you need to learn about SSI
****** Thanks for the suggestion - I do know about server side includes.
(It's more trouble to add them & change the html to shtml than to add the
META)
rudy
http://rudy.ca/
p.s. don't turn your ie6 visitors away -- they are right (to use a modern
browser like ie6) and you are wrong (to think turning them away solves
anything)
******* You're right - I shouldn't turn visitors/clients away (I *did* say I
was a stubborn old fart). Nothing wrong with using a/the most  modern
browser; but I WILL NOT allow mickysoft to screw with my pages! And I WILL
NOT participate in anything that feeds Gates! It's bad enough that FrontPage
adds links to mickysoft without telling the user!?! (as it did on some of
one of my client's pages)

cbirds says:
Do you have the code for this IE sniffer? I'd like it, smart tags or not!
****** I haven't searched yet, but it should be easy to find.