Re: Relational Databases

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Apr 2000 00:01:50 -0400
 To:  <ehoffman(at)smalldogdesign.com>,
"Ben Ocean" <beno(at)cnw.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Another way to go is ASP. If you have any knowledge of scripting you will
find ASP really easy to use. For example here is all the code you need to
access a databasecreate a record set in ASP!

 strConnect="Driver={Microsoft Access driver
(*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\primahealth\somedb.mdb"

'create a connection object
  set oConn =Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
  set oRec =Server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")

'open the connection object and create a record set
  oConn.Open strConnect
  oRec.Open "mppassword", oConn, 0,3,2

I agree with Eric  that you should use a SQL backend. Access is not suitable
for heavy duty work, but is great for prototyping.

Another advantage of ASP is that you can do the whole development process on
your desk-top with PWS and Access before porting to a server and SQL.
Further more there is great documentation available for ASP. i would
recommend Beginning ActiveServer Pages from Wrox Press.

Frank