Re: Image Theft Software

by "N. Whittley" <nwhittley(at)cinci.rr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:48:23 -0500
 To:  "Valerie L. Criswell" <valerie(at)suresource.net>,
"HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well, I have one that I downloaded years ago that can stop people from
linking to your images..  but it won't detect who is linking.

I just had this problem crop up two days ago when I found an EBAY auction
user, linking to images on my husbands site.  So I replaced those images
with a Shame on you image.  But I also installed a tiny cgi script, that
will prevent anyone outside your ip from linking to the images.

Problem with this, is you have to link to your images, through this cgi
script.  The script is told where you images are housed..  and you link to
the script, and give the image name.. and then it retrieves that image and
displays it.  If someone tries to link to that image, it will dectect it is
not from your specified IP and will show a THIS IMAGE IS STOLEN image
instead.

This is a bit labor intensive, because you have to go through and change all
your images links that you want to protect.

This is where you can get it.  You may notice there is a problem in the
instructions, but it is sort of obvious, if you don't see it let me know and
I will tell you how to correct it.  That is if you decide to use this.

Nancy