Re: .Net (Was: Re: suggestions please)

by Kathy Wheeler <kathyw(at)home.albury.net.au>

 Date:  Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:47:59 +1100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> 1. The code is compiled beforehand (and so runs faster) and can be used
> in a much more modular approach,

Bandwidth is now and will be for some time to come the limiting factor for
web based apps. Guys, with dsl and cable providers going to the wall and/or
flaking out all the time it just ain't gonna happen any time soon except on
intranets with internal apps.

Heaven forbid relying on MSWord.NET (sarcastically conjured term invented
here) for loading of your company documents down the .NET while your dsl
flickers and fails yet again ...

> 2. The code is much more powerful (and I think somewhat customizable)
> plus it can do things like draw graphs/charts and other graphics on the
> fly without having to purchase 3rd part plug-ins.

Maybe I'm missing the point here ... but gd (free) on *nix has been doing
that for years, with cgi (free), PHP (free) and various other interfaces.

So far I haven't heard anything about .NET that hasn't been done somewhere,
somehow before ... or is that the plan? MS will copy what others have
done/are doing, put their brand ($$) on it and sell it as their brand new
product and the best thing since sliced bread?

KathyW.