Re: Domain Renewal Question

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:17:51 -0700
 To:  "Sunil Bahl" <QandA(at)SunMatrix.com>,
"Hwg Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sunil,

In my experience, the only notifications I received about soon-to-expire
domains was from NSI Program Affiliates (such as Interland). NSI itself
never sent notification about the domains, either by email or by snailmail.

To get an idea of when your client's domains are due to expire, you can use
most any WHOIS lookup to find that information. I personally like
www.allwhois.com, but there are others, including NSI's own lookup system
( http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois ). By simply entering
the pertinent information into either (domain.com, for example), they will
tell you what the current database shows: Registrant, Admin Contact, Tech
Contact, Billing Contact, when it was registered, when it expires, and the
nameservers that translate the domain's name into IP addresses.

As for domain renewal, most registrars will extend the registration date
when you transfer the domain to them. I was asked earlier who I use after my
reply to Nate, and I don't believe I'm violating any rules by saying I use a
Tucows Affiliate called 000domains.com. With them, so long as the domain is
still valid (and not within a four day window of unregistering), and is not
in dispute, they will transfer to their system and tack on an extra year of
registration for the one-year-renewal rate. I recently found that to
transfer, you're kinda stuck with getting just one extra year, but after the
transfer is complete, you can extend registration up to ten more years.

Transfers from NSI are usually done within 2-3 business days, and require
authorization by one of the contacts via email. Transfers from IDR
(Registrars.com) are a bit flaky, as it took me five months (!) to transfer
one domain in question, and I received just one email from them the entire
time. On the last attempt to transfer, it happened without any additional
emails from IDR, so I didn't know the transfer happened until I did a WHOIS
and saw the record-holder had changed.

As I've also mentioned before, I am very pleased with the level of service
I've gotten from 000domains, as I was able to change the name of the company
that "owned" one of my domains (it was registered under my company's old
name, but NSI wanted $70 to change it along with notarized copies of the
change request), as well as update all contact information over the web
quickly and easily. I could change most any part of the information about my
domains now, and it would show up on a WHOIS lookup in a matter of hours.
Also, when I emailed 000domains regarding the messy transfer from IDR, I got
a response back from them (a personal, not canned response, no less) in a
matter of hours, whereas I've waited many days and weeks for responses from
NSI and IDR, sometimes never getting a response at all.

Good luck!
Kehvan