Regarding Steve Psomas query on the UNIX tar command...

by "Nathaniel Bank" <Nathan.Bank(at)cello.net>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:19:04 -0700
 To:  "Steve Psomas" <steve.psomas(at)clearink.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If it is just a .tar file and not a .tar.gz file, then you can do >tar -xvf
<filename>. Otherwise, you need to do a >tar -xvzf <filename> or
>tar --gunzip -xvf <filename> (I think that is the syntax for gzipped files)
or >gunzip <filename> and then un-tar it. This extracts, verbosely, a
filename rather than looking for an archive on /dev/rst0. If it is on
another computer, use >tar -xvf [hostname]:<fiilename> (without all the <>
and [] and ()'s of course).

Let me know if I'm wrong (it's been a little while :-)

Nathan