Re: smart tags

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:00:05 -0400
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
We should check every week or so to make sure Paul hasn't mysteriously
disappeared...:)

I think the biggest marketing mistake most companies made was in thinking of
the Web as "TV with a buy button" and not realizing that people talk to each
other.  They failed because their experience was based on controling the
spin, and never realized they couldn't do that online.  No hassle to shop
elsewhere...the competition is just a click away.

MS is like those companies, except that it has the advantage of knowing the
environment so much better, and thus it is so much more successful at
manipulating it.  I think Paul is right that we'll see the issue of Smart
Tags rise again down the road.  Why shouldn't it?  If it can bring MS an
profit, and not bring them any fatal legal troubles, then why wouldn't they
pursue it...?