Re: htm and html extensions

by "Gary Krockover" <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:42:19 -0500
 To:  "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I was referring to www.usworks.com/jacksonville from the original post.
Mike Carlson gave an excellent explanation on why
http://www.my-choice.com/8884360 shows the image.

Gary Krockover
Webmaster
Internet Gateway
www.thegateway.net
(512) 930-1022

That surely doesn't explain why the clock is shown when visiting
http://www.my-choice.com/8884360, does it?  I highly doubt that 8884360 is a
directory.

Martin Clifford
Homepage: http://www.completesource.net
Developer's Forums: http://www.completesource.net/forums/

>>> "Gary Krockover" <gary(at)garykrockover.com> 07/18/02 02:38PM >>>
It's always been this way.  www.usworks.com/jacksonville is a sub-directory
or folder on the server, not a specific page.  Servers are set to display a
page by default when none are specified, typically index.html or index.htm
or home.htm or the like.  So, by going to www.usworks.com/jacksonville the
server then defaults to the homepage, index.html for example.

Gary Krockover
Webmaster
Internet Gateway
www.thegateway.net
(512) 930-1022

> Hello,
> I have been exposed to something recently that does not fit my prior
> training.  My wife works for a high-tech firm that has many servers
> addressing a wide range of clients - Internet, not Intranet, around the
> USA.  The firm has dropped all .htm and .html extensions when referring a
> client to a site file.  Check it out at www.usworks.com/jacksonville
>
> Somehow, I was trained that proper file access would require *.htm or
> .html* after "jacksonville."
>
> I have run a few tests on the back-end of my own servers and, sure enough,
> www.my-choice.com/8884360 will access a test page - graphic (clock).
When,
> if ever, did the browsers/URL data access world change to the point where
> no htm or html is required after the server file?  Perhaps it has always
> been this way and I simply assumed htm or html was required for proper
file
> access.  Any feedback will be quite helpful.  Incidentally, I sent the
> my-choice link to about 60 people (all browser, OSs, and even AOL folks)
> and all replied stating they could access the clock via my test page.
BTW,