Re: what's a search engine? was: no-margin settings and validation

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 May 2002 09:40:24 -0700
 To:  "tim booker" <tim(at)yaffle.org>,
"jim barchuk" <jb(at)jbarchuk.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
<cbirds(at)earthlink.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> Wrong.  If you go to Yahoo and use the search box on the front page, you
are
> searching Google's index.  The results are the same.  The page has a
> "powered by Google" icon.  The URL of the results are "google.yahoo.com".

I don't think so.  I just did a search at Yahoo on the search box for the
term "waterbed" and did the same at Google and the results are totally
different.

Furthermore, the Yahoo return for this search word has remained relatively
unchanged for several years so they are using Google software to index the
Yahoo database as the primary search tool. They chose the Google engine
software because of speed, but rely on their own hand made database for
data.

Paul Wilson
webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com

---