RE: Question on domain names

by "Mike Kear" <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>

 Date:  Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:15:48 +1000
 To:  "hwg-techniques@mail. hwg. org" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Since you can't have the name you really want, built on their business =
name,
do a brain storm with the client and look for what they think are their =
best
attributes or what they're famous for.  Find a name based around that.

For example, my company name was AFP Solutions.  I wanted to get a =
domain
name AFPSolutions.com but it was already taken.  So we did a brain storm
till someone came up with "web sites that work" which is the phrase we =
use
often in selling what we do.  Now you'll see that phrase on our site and =
in
all kinds of places.   We incorporated that into the domain name =
AFPWebworks
and it ended up later on being the name we changed the company to.  The
point was, since we couldn't have the name we wanted, and for all the
reasons already stated here we didn't want to have a variation on the =
name
already taken, it was a variation on a slogan we use that gave us the =
domain
name.

You can work a domain name around what they do or what they're famous =
for
rather than their business name.  I think that's far better in the end =
than
a variation of your competitor's domain name.

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks.