Re: Using MS SQLServer on the web...

by "Bryan Bateman" <batemanb(at)home.com>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:56:32 -0000
 To:  "jalal" <the_jalal(at)yahoo.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The amount of automation depends on the tools offered by the host.  You
mentioned a remote connection to the SQL Server.  Do you really think the
host will open up his firewall to allow such a connection.  Most only allow
http, ftp and telnet with an administration panel.  Given those
restrictions, what are your options.

When you update an access file you replace it right?  In MSSQL that would
mean dropping the table, adding the table and the inserting the data.  Do
you really want to do that? You can use the upsize tools for this.

Would it not be better to insert new records and update the existing ones.
Is your client willing to export only the changes to the site?  You could
write stored procedures on the server to insert/update from an uploaded CSV
file(s).  If your customer only wants to hand you the entire table you could
write a stored procedure to populate a temporary table and then another
stored procedure to compare and contrast the two tables and make the changes
( nice little coding job here).

You would probably do better letting him know that this transition is a one
that is necessary for the continued growth of the site.   This change of
databases will also affect the way he works.  Find out why he doesn't want
his employees to have net access?  Is he using his personal AOL account to
accomplish this?  Does he fear security problems or worker abuse of the
online account?  Is he concerned about the cost of additional accounts?
Have you talked to him about a shared connection?

Does the site augment an existing brick and mortar business?  As the site
grows it will be more and more important for workflow in the office to move
smoothly to the site.  Have you looked at this?  Have you considered
contracting to him for automating the office process?

I have never known a good businessman to resist change as long as it makes
good business sense.