Re: PHP adding / in front of apostrophes

by "Paul Roberts" <hwg(at)roberts200025.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:06:59 +0100
 To:  "Scott Smith" <wahikan(at)megapathdsl.net>,
"HWG - Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
there are 2 ways this is controlled,

magic_quotes_gpc boolean=20
Sets the magic_quotes state for GPC (Get/Post/Cookie) operations. When =
magic_quotes are on, all ' (single-quote), " (double quote), \ =
(backslash) and NUL's are escaped with a backslash automatically. If =
magic_quotes_sybase is also on, a single-quote is escaped with a =
single-quote instead of a backslash.=20

magic_quotes_runtime boolean=20

If magic_quotes_runtime is enabled, most functions that return data from =
any sort of external source including databases and text files will have =
quotes escaped with a backslash. If magic_quotes_sybase is also on, a =
single-quote is escaped with a single-quote instead of a backslash.

you can look in php.ini or use phpinfo() in a php file to get the server =
set-up.

if you don't want your database output escaped automatically then set =
magic_quotes_runtime to off or use stripslashes($string) to remove the =
slashes before outputting them.

If your apostrophises are inserted as \' then only the ' will be stored =
in the db as it is escaped.

Paul Roberts
http://www.paul-roberts.com
mail(at)paul-roberts.com