Re: Table Trouble

by "rudy limeback" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:25:36 -0400
 To:  "Rasika Wijayaratne" <web(at)leiton.com.au>,
"00HWG" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>The table  used for our companies splash page has a tbale i used to cut
and
>divide up the splash image.  Only problem is 2 cells in the tbale get
>rendered bigger than they should so the whole thing goes out of whak.  Its
>the two middle left lying cells that containg the word "Leiton".  Theses
two
>cells should be the same size as the images contained within them, but
they
>are not.
>
>http://www.leiton.com.au/table.html

hi rasika

i played with this table seventeen ways and couldn't get the images to line
up

the rowspans are overlapping in very weird ways

for example, in the far right column, 08.jpg in the first row is supposed
to span two rows, but if you look at the left column, the first two rows
contain 03.jpg and 02.jpg, but 02.jpg spans two rows, so it has to overlap
with temp.jpg in the right column, but temp.jpg spans two rows, so it has
to overlap with 01.jpg in the left column... see, it's just too confusing
for the browser (to say nothing about somebody trying to fix it)

my strong suggestion is to re-slice it and try to do it in such a way that
you don't have too many overlapping rowspans

if the purpose of slicing it is to isolate the portion of the image that
will have rollovers (i'm guessing this will only be temp.jpg) then you only
need a total of 4 slices

also, make sure that you do not specify widths and heights in the TDs, this
can only confuse the browsers, let the size of the images determine the
size of the cells...