Re: ISO 8859 and character entities

by "rudy limeback" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2000 20:53:42 -0400
 To:  "Berkes,
Michele" <Michele.Berkes(at)compuware.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I have been using some character entities in that range
> (151 for em dash, 150 for en dash, and others). I work mainly
> in an intranet environment (Win95, IE5), so I don't think I have
> a major problem here.

hi again michele

absolutely right, in an intranet you can do exactly what bill, er, um,
exactly what you want

> For other work on the Web, however, I'd like to know whether
> this is true and if so, how big a problem it is. The page in question
> is at http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/ , but the date at
> the bottom is 1996, so I wonder whether the info is still accurate.

far as i know they haven't rescinded any iso stuff recently  <grin>

here's another paper on the subject, says basically the same thing, but in
more depth...

  ISO-8859 briefing and resources
  http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/iso8859/iso8859-pointers.html