Re: Liquid Options

by "rudy limeback" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:32:20 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Ben Ocean" <beno(at)cnw.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I developed a web site with graphics and CSS, optimized for a 600*800
>screen. The client wants it to appear without added white space in larger
>screen resolutions. It's my understanding that this can only be done with
>liquid programming: something I consider to be well beyond my abilities.
>Am I misled? Is it easy (with PHP)? Or are there other options?

hi ben

it's actually fairly easy, if you can bring yourself to use html tables for
layout (as many of us can) -- just set the width of the table to a
percentage, and if the percentage is less than 100, you'll probably also
want to center the table

that's pretty much all there is to it, except for minor details like how to
keep one column of the table at a fixed width (e.g. for a nav bar) while
the rest of the table "flows"

i think i mentioned this earlier today, but there are links to some good
tutorials in this article --

  Liquid Tables
  http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2321

rudy limeback