Re: traffic count

by "Cindy Stanley, SSS WebWorks" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:56:15 -0400
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Noteworthy Web Designs <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>
>These will be text-only links, although the businesses have
>the option of purchasing a banner ad if they so choose. What type of
>script will I need to keep a log of how much traffic a customer gets
>thru that link, in case they want to justify the cost?

For tracking click-throughs on rotating banner ads, try Orbit Cycle:
<http://www.orbitcycle.com/>

The closest thing that I could reccomend for tracking text link hits is a
perl script called CountDown. Use this script to update a log file for
tracking the number of downloads of each file on your Web site. The script
will do the following:
1. Is activated by a link
"http://www.site.com/scripts/countdown.cgi?file.anything"
2. Will add a count to "countdown.log", for the proper file
3. Will auto-forward to "file.anything" for download
4. The interface is seamless, no user prompts.

I am not sure if you could incorporate this into the purpose that you need,
but it may be worth looking into:

<http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/resources/scriptlibrary/perlscript/scripts/lin
k/countdown/details.html>

--