Re: Variable text sizes and CSS

by "rudy limeback" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:06:38 -0400
 To:  "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>  ... Is there a way to both designate the size of your fonts using CSS
> and also allow visitors to adjust the font size and override my settings?
> It does not appear so.

hi mike

nothing about css is as it appears      ;o)

actually if you do not try to control the size of the font at all, it works
great

the user gets to set the size, and you get a style sheet that works

what you designate, by not designating a font size in css, is "the user's
size"

(in plain html, this is font size 3, and <big> and <small> validate just
fine)

you don't have to serve different style sheets to different browsers, you
don't have to try to figure out whether you should be using pixels or ems,
you don't have to test your style sheet in all twenty-seven different
versions of netscape and internet explorer (to say nothing of aol, webtv,
palms...)

that said, i have had very good results using ems, e.g.

    h1        {  font-size: 4.937em ; }

rudy limeback
r937.com
evolt.org