Re: Those Darn Canadians...

by "rudy" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:52:48 -0500
 To:  "Jeffrey Cohen" <jcohen02(at)snet.net>,
"Html Writers Guild" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get a list of Valid Canadian
> Provinces, and their corrsponding zip (postal) codes.

hi jeffrey

AB Alberta
BC British Columbia
MB Manitoba
NB New Brunswick
NF Newfoundland
NS Nova Scotia
NT Northwest Territories / Nunavut
ON Ontario
PE Prince Edward Island
QC Quebec
SK Saskatchewan
YT Yukon Territories

the deal with the nunavut territory is especially weird (you might say
quintessentially canadian)

when nunavut was formed (april 1 1999) by carving a goodly chunk out of the
northwest territories, the canadian postal service, acting in the interests
of who knows what (their own computer systems, presumably), decided that
nunavut's province code should be NT, which, if you'll notice, is the same
as that of the Northwest territories...

...breaking all kinds of one-to-many table relationships in databases
across the land, but what do they care?

as far as postal codes go, you don't want to validate those, they are
probably as discrete as the american 9-digit zip codes

my postal code is m4k 2j3 and i share it with only a half dozen houses down
the last part of this side of my street -- the houses across the street are
m4k 2j2

if you are editing postal codes on a web page, just go by the general
pattern -- alpha, numeric, alpha, optional space, numeric, alpha, numeric

cool?

rudy.ca