Re: on a table or other method

by "rudy" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:20:28 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> http://portcityportlandmaine.com/hillmartin/hill1.html
> What my boss wants is the blue/ice logo in the right hand corner
> of the table to be in the upper right hand corner of the browser
> window so the two blue strips in the lower right hand of the
> picture appear to disappear into the right hand side of the browser
> window.

hi roadrunner

bad news, some browsers will reserve space for the vertical scrollbar
whether the page is long enough to warrant a scrollbar or not

in other words, the blue lines will *not* disappear into the right hand
side of the window, they will stop at the gap for the scrollbar

and there's nothing you can do about it, either, that's just the way the
browsers are

as far as getting it into the top right corner, yes, go with a
right-aligned cell in a width="100%" table

> Maybe you want to put that image in a separate table that's aligned
right,
> while the other table is aligned left?

that might not work

the purpose of aligning tables is not for positioning them (although that
*is* what happens), the idea is that stuff should flow around them -- it's
the same as aligning images so text flows around them

some browsers get confused when tables are aligned, especially if more than
one, with the result that often there's overlap or other serious layout
problems

stick with the width=100%

and go tell your boss about the space reserved for the scrollbar (don't
wait for him or her to find out)

rudy.ca