Re: Java Applet or Flash?

by "rudy" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:06:17 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"George Nielsen" <genie(at)postone.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I was in doubt on whether I should use a Java applet
> or Flash. I chose the former as I feared that only browsers with
> Flash plugins would have been able to see the latter. Is that correct?

hi george

yes, that's correct, but only browsers with Java can see the former, and
(based entirely on hearsay) that's a lot fewer than can see Flash

your best bet is to use text links (and perhaps style them with CSS) --
this method is guaranteed to work in all browsers (except for the styling,
which works only in version 4+ browsers)

second best is image links (and perhaps use javascript rollovers) -- this
method is guaranteed to work in all browsers too (except for the rollovers,
and not for people who use text browsers or have images turned off)

third best would be Flash, but you'll cut out a large number of users who
don't have Flash installed or who refuse to let an ActiveX component run on
their machines

fourth best is Java, but you'll cut out even more people

rudy