Re: New Browser Window Link problem

by "rudy" <r937(at)interlog.com>

 Date:  Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:01:00 -0400
 To:  "Kid Stevens" <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I copied that directly from one of my websites which works everytime.

no, it doesn't -- it only works if javascript is turned on

>  IE5, NN6 and up on Mac and UNIX, it works just fine.

obviously you did not test it on the windows platform

ie5, ie6, mozilla 1, and opera 6 -- it does *not* work

and before you get all excited, let me remind you that jeremy was asking
for something that would *guarantee* that the second window was maximized

that auto business does not work for that purpose

> Anyone with Sun's Java will work it is in the.

"will work it is in the" ?   slow down, please, you're typing too fast

and java's got nothing to do with this

> He was asking to solve a target=_blank problem
> and target=_anything is gone in HTML 4 specs.

no, that's incorrect on two points

he was asking how to guarantee that the 2nd window is maximized

and target= is still okay in transitional -- it's invalid in strict

> As for Rude, are you the Rude Police?

my nickname is rude, but that's beside the point   ;o)

i was merely pointing out that second windows are considered by many people
to be user-hostile

you can disagree with that all you want, but don't blame me

> Popping up stupid little adds is rude.  Popping up information is not.

i agree with this, in general

for example, i love bosrup's overlib (although i don't use them myself)

> I don't care to go to your website to see your point
> there only needs to be one standards organization.

i'm sorry, i do not understand this sentence

you do not have to go to my web site

are you for or against standards?

because the w3c advises against second windows

rudy