Re: name registration

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Sun, 15 Jul 2001 17:00:59 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Nate Harel" <nharel(at)consultant.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Nate,

Not a silly question if you truly don't know the answer, although I suspect
you've already answered yourself, at least in part:
"Why would I choose to pay more?"

The two big registrars, Network Solutions and Internet Domain Registrars
(aka Registrars.Com) charge the higher fees (although NSI is now offering
discounted fees for less popular TLDs, I've noticed). I have my domains
hosted at a company offering $13.50/yr registrations. I can do all my domain
updates and control right over the website, whereas older domains controlled
by NSI required certified/notarized faxes/snailmail to update!
Registrars.com is a little better than NSI as to allowing you to modify your
domain, but it could still be easier.

To this point, and to answer your specific questions, I have not seen any
QUALITY difference having my domains registered by who I have vs NSI or
IDR... my sites still get their names and IPs linked up properly, people can
still drop by for a visit. I find I can update things about my domains a lot
easier and quicker now than before, though. I can see no advantage to paying
$35/yr for the same services I get for $13.50/yr. Granted, both NSI and IDR
have slicker websites than who I'm using, but I couldn't care less about
that, so long as it's functional and not confusing to use.

So in answer to the question I quoted above, "Why would I choose to pay
more?" all I can say is that you might choose to pay more for a slick
website, tough modification controls, and crappy customer service... I know
I wouldn't pay more (and don't).

Kehvan M. Zydhek