Re: IE <5.5 vs IE >=5.5 statistics? (Should we use UTF-8?)

by Kathy Wheeler <kathyw(at)home.albury.net.au>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:01:51 +1100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Anton Tagunov <tae(at)newmail.ru>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> Yes, I know NN < 6 is also broken with UTF-8 (for cyrillics for
> example it fails to input text in forms correctly), but statistics
> on NN 4 is available.

NN4.x also behaves extremely erratically with it's CSS display when using
UTF-8 (it will simply stop interpreting the CSS for no other apparant reason
- reload may or may not re-draw the page properly).

Using iso-8859-1 solved the CSS problem for me. Can you use that?

NN4 stats are small I believe, but you should refer to your own logs to see
what your normal audience is using. The numbers vary. Most stats sites are
using stats generated from their own visitors and related sites. These sites
are most often visited by us (developers) using in most cases fairly recent
browsers - so the stats may be slanted.

However Google has some useful stats from time to time:
http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

Another good site is:
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/

Good luck,