Re: text menus vs graphical menus

by "Donna Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:10:07 -0000
 To:  "'HWG Techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Here's a suggestion, Ann - use graphics in your menus, but provide
additional text menus - a common convention is to add the text
navigation at the bottom of the page, but if you can duplicate the text
menu nearer the top of the page as well, then all the better.

As the discussion since you asked this question has indicated, many
people find graphics attractive, useful and easy to remember and use,
rather than having to read words.  For other users a combination of
graphics and text can be very helpful, as in Michael's suggestion of
combining image and text in the same graphic, while for some text
navigation is the best format (e.g. those who use magnification software
or who use their browser settings to increase the text size).  So if you
can provide both graphic and text navigation, that should help to ensure
that everyone will be able to enjoy and navigate the site.

Regards,
Donna
--
Donna Smillie
Best Practice Officer (Accessible Websites)