Re: text menus vs graphical menus

by "Donna Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:58:52 -0000
 To:  "Michael McKee" <mikemckee(at)cablespeed.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You make some excellent points on this issue, Michael.

I think in general we're saying similar things.  Graphics and visual
symbols are very important for many people.  There are those, however,
who benefit from the addition of textual information and links, so a
thoughtful combination of graphics and text should ensure that all needs
are catered for.

As for the shortfalls in design excellence displayed by some sites, I
suspect that's largely an experience issue, and as more and more
designers develop techniques and expertise in creating good,
well-designed accessible and standards compliant sites, other designers
will pick up on these techniques, and use them, and we'll see a growing
improvement in the standard.  Many of us learn how to design sites by
looking at what others do, so until there are a lot of examples of good
accessible designs for others to work with and learn from, those of us
who are technically competent but lack innovative design skills will
have little to learn from.  That will come eventually, I think.  I
certainly hope so! :-)

Regards,
Donna
--
Donna Smillie
Best Practice Officer (Accessible Websites)