Re: Fwd: Help with CSS?

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sun, 26 May 2002 15:05:52 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sniffing does work.

If they change their user agent string, then they get what they wanted: a
page intended for another browser.

If there are cache or proxy issues, they will get the default page as
intended by the site owner...presumably the simplest and oldest version, but
even that is dependant upon the site's target audience.

No solution is 100%.  Not every client is going to want a simple, HTML 3.2
cross-platform design.  If nothing else, it doesn't do much for cell
phones...:). Even with the best of intention, no system will be foolproof.

Even so, I would hesitate to refer to a 99% effective solution such as
platform sniffing as a system that "doesn't work."

:)