Re: what's a 'block element?' was: reliable way to float a block of text?

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:04:13 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I meant "trick" as in the way using tables for page layouts is a "trick", or
using invisible gifs to stretch or maintain cell widths is a "trick."  The
technique under disscussion is a way to achieve an effect that was most
likely never intentionally made possible with the limited presentation tools
of HTML alone.  A tribute the the genius of web designers, who make browsers
jump through hoops their programmers never envisioned.

It's really amazing how designers have stretched the capabilities of HTML to
make of for the lack of a tool like CSS all these years.  Kinda makes ya
wonder what all this brainpower is going to achieve now that we are
beginning to use all the possibilities that CSS opens up for us...:)

From: cbirds(at)earthlink.net

Darrell King hunted and pecked out this message on 4/23/2002 4:52 PM

>Of course, CSS does it just as well, but it is a cute trick for older
>browsers...

Since this was used BEFORE CSS was around, how can it be a "trick"???