Re: screen resolution

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:54:06 -0500
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually, I know a whole department at a large corporation...a department of
software engineers...who use Windows 95, and most seem or have no idea how
to change their resolution or update their borwser.  They write software all
day long, but browsing and the Internet are new issues for them.

In addition, only people lucky enough to live in countries like the US are
buying new computers every six months...:).  Even here, my sister just
upgraded from Win3.1/IE3 about 3 months ago.  She's not unusual for her area
(Vermont).

Nearer to home, in NY, I know one woman who is online daily, but just
upgraded from 3.1/IE3 last Fall.

It's hard to download IE4 or 5 or NC4.08 when you are charged by the second
for your connection, as many people still are wordwide.  In addition,
upgrading is an initimidating process for many...and impossible for those
with import restrictions, poor connections, or antiquated equipment.  You
can browse the Net with a 386 and 4 megs of RAM, or even less with Linx on
*nix, but you can't get IE5 in there!

"Know your audience" is the best advice.  Just remember that it's a big
world, and it doesn't revolve around your home country anymore...