Re: Intranet BB - any suggestions?

by "John Murray" <jmnc(at)lis.net.au>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:31:40 +1000
 To:  <seaeagle(at)one.net.au>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
There are probably more off the shelf solutions, but I know Perl so that is
my preference.

Sounds like you want to capture time sheet info, and then feed that into
head office software offline. Also, you want a process for entering a
message and directing it to groups of people and individuals. And when they
read the message they have to set a flag saying they've read it.

Once per day if run a perl script that checks for messages unread and sends
an email saying "You've got mail you slacko, and your in deep poop if you
don't go check it out now"

When a message poster selects a group of recipients and clicks "send", do a
find on the groups file [2] and write a new record in file [5]  for each
recipient in that group.

Anyway, 100 offices, 10 people per office, 40 messages per person per month
in the current file [toss other messages into a backup file] would give you
40,000 records in file 5 to sort and extract records from.

40000 a lot of records ... any perlies out their?

1.
Online Employee Number
Employee Name
Date
Start Time
Finish Time
TimeDateStampInfoLastMod
2.
Online Employee Number
Employee Name
Group Name
3.
UniqueMessNum
MessOrigOnlineEmplNum
MessOrigEmplName
MessDate
MessTime
Message
4.
UniqueMessNum
GroupName
5.
UniqueMessNum
OnlinEmployNumRead
EmployNameRead
DateTimeRead

Maybe not what you are looking for? But there's what comes out of my head in
terms of the underlying datafile structure that could get thejob done.

John