Re: style sheet font size

by "Jose Casal-Gimenez" <j.casal(at)ukc.ac.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:37:27 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> in a style sheet font sizes can be specified by name (x-small, small,
> medium,
> >etc) or size (12px, 14px, etc).
> >I don't like using pixel sizes because of the differances between
> >platforms,
> >even in the same brand
> >browser.
>
> NOT true. Pixels are the only more-or-less reliable cross-browser and -OS
> units. If you use them, you get only minor differences. Use anything else
> and you get major problems.

True, but based on my own experience using pixels is not good because it
breaks some accesibility issues.

In particular, some browsers DO NOT resize the font even if the user
specifically says that they want it larger than the default. This happens
because when you use pixels to define the size some browsers (IE) think that
that size is fixed.

It may not be important for some companies if some visually-impaired clients
can't read their web pages because the fonts are too small, but at the
university is almost a MUST to provide an accesible web site.

It may not be the best option, but we have opted to use percentages (i.e.
font-size: 80%)......it's far from perfect, but it seems to work in most
cases.

Just my personal opinion!

Jose