Re: URL length

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:17:35 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"John McConnell" <form(at)narwhaldesign.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Short is best, as it's easy to type, easy to remember, easy to fit on a
business card, and HARD to mistype... Long URLs are more descriptive, though
(vba, as in the example, would for me imply VisualBasic for Applications,
not an apartment locator service for Vermont, as I would think the long URL
would describe), easy to mistype, complicated to say (or heaven forbid,
SPELL when necessary -- try phoentically spelling the long URL over the
phone... vee ee are em oh en tee bee ee ay you... ;-) ), and difficult to
squeeze onto a business card and still be legible AND in a semi-valid
format. Both methods have their pluses and minuses... The biggest, however,
is that short names are almost always already in use for something, and long
ones are not, so long may be your only choice. The current allowance is for
67 characters, including the TLD (.com, .net, etc), so you've got a lot of
leeway if you do have to go long...

Kehvan

:: NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2002 scanned this email prior to sending. It is free
:: of any known embedded or attached viruses, trojans, or internet worms.