Re: set browser toolbars from internet shortcut?

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)>

 Date:  Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:51:48 -0700
 To:  <amcbainezzell(at)>,
"Rebecca Campbell" <Rebecca.Campbell(at)>,
  todo: View Thread, Original

Creating a secondary popup with the parameters Rebecca wants is not too
difficult using JavaScript:

   function makeP1(url)
    if (PVP && !PVP.closed)
    PVP ="/common/imgdisplay.asp?file=" + url,"PVP",
    if (window.focus) {PVP.focus()}

This JavaScript function, loaded in the HEAD of the HTML document, will
create a popup window 325px wide, 383px high without anything but the
titlebar (this is for an image popup, so it's just fine for that). The link
would simply be something like:

    <.a href="javascript:makeP1('popupfile.jpg')">Click for image</a>

That's all fine and good. A little script modification will allow the popup
to be a navigable window.

However, what Ann suggests would, in my opinion, be very unethical and would
drive me (and others, likely) from the site, as a second window would not
have the browser history on it, so you couldn't back up. I for one would not
return to any site that clobbers my back button like that!

Hope this helps,