Re: Question on domain names

by Brian V Bonini <b-bonini(at)cox.net>

 Date:  03 Jun 2003 13:23:31 -0400
 To:  Carole Goodwin <carole(at)devons.com>
 Cc:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 11:02, Carole Goodwin wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right list or not. Please let me know.
>
> I have a client who wants me to do their site. She is getting ready to
> purchase a domain name. Her business is a two word name and right now,
> that name is taken. She is agonizing over how to get around this. If
> she adds the number "2" at the end of it (businessname2.com) that is
> not taken. But, she wonders about the feasibility of having a number
> appear in a domain name. Good, bad, no one does it?? She can add an "s"
> and pluralize the name (businessnames.com) but that is not really the
> name of her business, although it works. Which is preferable? Adding
> the number or making the domain name the plural of the business name?
> Both of those are available for purchase.

The problem I have with '2' is that now requires and explanation. Id
est, when you tell someone the domain name you now need to clarify that
it is actually the number 2 and not "two" or "to" or "too" etc... My
goal with client domains is always to find something you could tell
someone (without explanation) at 7:00am and have them still remember it
at 7:00pm.. Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary.... If you wish to
share the actual business name I'm sure you'd get some good suggestions
although I would understand your reluctance to do so....