Re: How do multiple domains work?

by Brian V Bonini <b-bonini(at)cox.net>

 Date:  24 Sep 2003 14:10:06 -0400
 To:  Lisa Bradshaw <zibbler(at)web-design-cs.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 12:43, Lisa Bradshaw wrote:
> I have a client that wants to purchase another domain besides the one he
> already has. How is that done. Do you just point both domains to the same
> server, or is there something more sinister involved?
>
> TIA,
> Lisa

If he wants the new domain to resolve to the primary domain for the
server you can just have the A record point to the same IP. If it needs
to resolve to a virtual host you need to take an extra step and add a
ServerAlias directive (assuming apache) with the new domain name to the
virtual host block for the existing virtual host. If it is a separate
virtual host all together you need to add a new virtual host container
and associated directives. Again, assuming we're talking Apache here.