Re: Missing pictures

by Jon Scott <jscott(at)cpec.org>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:12:01 -0600
 To:  David Jones <dvjones(at)ksbe.edu>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Actually, a lot of town/ library / public computers use NN4.x  I know we have
to code for it for all the stations in a couple municipalities around here.
There is a lot of anti-microsoft sentiment, or more open source favortism than
you'd think.

If you're not coding for NN4.x you can pretty much count 20% of your visitor
traffic as ticked off.  Even if your traffic flow doesn't show 20% use, it's no
wonder.  If I go to a site once and it doesn't render in my browser I'm not
going back.  Unless I REEEAAAALLLLY need something from that site.

Statistical analysis is so often misinterpreted by the techies/ web wonks for a
site,  that the actual marketing people don't know why visitors aren't coming
back to the site.

I'm willling to bet a lot more people are using NN than originally measured.
It's ust that when the browser wars were declared over, by who I couldn't tell
ya, that many developers stopped building NN compatible sites.

I for one konw it would be a lot easier to not have to build web pages that are
Netscape Navigator, Opera, and Mozilla compatible.  But I also know that I'm
giving up the last 30% or so of our web traffic to the "I'm not interested in
your traffic unless you use microsoft IE", world.

Sorry, but 30% more traffic is not something I'm willing to give up.

How do I know it's 30% when many studies show 20% or less total non-IE
traffic.  Easy, because we program with NN in mind and gained an extra 10%
traffic because of that.  Not to mention, it's jut possible our demographics
don't match the so called norm.

Are you really sure you want to stop programming for NN 4.x?  Maybe you can
build a generic section that is cross borwser comaptible and solicit feedback
from yoru visitors that are using some other browser, by utilizing a browser
sniffer survey tool.

HTH

JS