Re: text menus vs graphical menus

by Nathan Lyle <nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com>

 Date:  Sun, 10 Nov 2002 01:43:58 -0500
 To:  Ann Ezzell <amcbainezzell(at)alum.mit.edu>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> What are you using? Graphics? Text? What are the reactions to your
> menus?

Your question is one that I've dealt with myself in the last year or
so. I was very big into the javascript roll-over button thing for a
while, partly because it seemed like "all the other sites" were using
it, and it was neat to be able to add flair to buttons. (Not that
flair is to be taken for the end-all of design.)

Anyway, I've found myself over this last year switching as much away
from buttons as I can, and using text links with CSS hover to sort of
sneak in some of the old button roll-over feel. I've found that the
sites that I stumble across that I like the best (from both usability
and overall "look" considerations) tended to have nicely organized
lists of text links.

In my opinion, there has been a shift in "professional business" sites
towards this type of menu. On the other hand, sites geared towards
teenagers and other "cool" and "hip" groups are using ever more flashy
graphics and Flash animations for buttons, etc. It does seem to depend
on the audience.

I'm a firm believer that image is extremely important. The "look" of a
site is the first impression a visitor gets. I also believe that using
text and images in the right proportion to each other and in
appropriate ways makes all the difference. I've only had one client
that *insisted* on buttons, and it's one of my least favorite projects
I've done. <grin> (This was the same client who also insisted that we
put a big old counter on the bottom of the pages - which to me almost
feels like getting out the spandex and putting Poison or Skid Row on
the ol' boom box.)

I think ultimately, the decision on things like menus should be
somewhat dependent on the individual project. But, for myself, I think
that neatly organized text menus are the most professional in
appearance. I believe they also help with things like keyword density
and such, for that little extra boost in search engine placement.

Anyway, my two cents.

~ The U.P. Web Maestro (Nathan Lyle)

  E-Mail: nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com
  Online: www.upwebmaestro.com
   Phone: (906)485-4806

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981.