a question on the best way to go about...

by Rob Prentice <rob(at)4-i-s-t.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:49:20 +0000
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello,

 I need a CGI script, not sure exactly how its all going to work. but,
 i need one that can handle lots of use. 500+ hits a day on the site.
 and it needs to write unser input to files and read user input. it
 will need to be able to cope with a heavy usage.

 what would be the best way to go about it? if i use CGI, do i use
 standard .txt files? obviously with different file extenstions.

 would each submission have its own file? or if the title of teh
 submission starts with an 'a' it goes into a file with all the other
 submissions that begin with an 'a'? or do i use ASP and a database?

 i need a script that can handle heavy usage and the best way of
 handling the data file. i dont have much experiance with CGI or ASP.
 i dont know CGI well enough at the moment to code whaet i will need
 it to do, and havnt got the faintest idea about ASP. i have a server
 but it doesnt support ASP. it supports PHP4 and CGI.

 anyone know of the best way to go about it? one large data file? lots
 of small ones? a few meduim sized ones? use a database such as
 access? or use flat files? im not too sure what the best way will be.

 thank you.

Take care,
 Rob.

------- http://www.4-i-s-t.co.uk/ -------