RE: registration process and db

by "David Clapper" <dclapper(at)clioassociates.com>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:20:57 -0700
 To:  shelleyw(at)home.com
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Shelly,

If your hosting service supports it, you may want to look at
a component like AuthentiX (http://www.authentix.com) or ASPLogin
(http://www.asplogin.com/).  They have built-in functionality
and/or templates to allow you to quickly construct what you want.

Alternatively you can "roll your own" using some basic ASP functionality
(I wrote something like this using cookies and session variables
once).

One thing to think about is whether you just need to protect
your pages (which will probably need to become ASP pages), or
whether you want to protect other items in addition (for example,
PDFs and graphics files).  In the latter case I believe you'd
need to use AuthentiX or something else which secures at the
DIRECTORY vs. FILE level.

HTH ... respond offline if more questions.