Re[2]: MySQL Techniques

by Nathan Lyle <nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com>

 Date:  Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:17:27 -0500
 To:  Hank Marquardt <hmarq(at)yerpso.net>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> If you're going to have 'paging'; show 1-10, then a previous/next
> button ... and/or expect queries to have patterns -- like lot's of
> Brittany searches when a new album comes out ... you should setup
> caching on your queries such that identical queries within a period of
> time never talk to the database, they just read from a file -- that'll
> speed up the common queries to near-instantaneous and make pagination
> within the same base query database friendly.

I like the idea of caching, especially since there'll be a lot of
"next" and "previous" clicking going on through any given search
results. What I'm *not* sure I get is the correct setup of this. Right
now, for each page of results, the search criteria is being sent to a
PHP script which then limits the results to 15, starting at 15 more or
less than a value that is passed on each time (to indicate placement
in the total number of hits). Is this a back asswards way of doing it?
Wouldn't it get in the way of caching? Or maybe I'm just not getting
it? (Most likely.) Is there a good online reference that might help
straighten me out on getting caching running for page queries? (IOW,
is it a server thing, or a PHP thing, or what?)

~ Nathan Lyle

     www.upwebmaestro.com     nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com     (906)485-4806

"Data expands to fill the space available for storage"
 - Parkinson's Law of Data.