Re[4]: IE & Form Submissions

by Nathan Lyle <nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com>

 Date:  Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:50:43 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I see what you mean.  When you mentioned that it worked once and then not
> again, it occurred to me that it might be some sort of caching issue with
> that version.  What are the settings there?  Do you have IE set to update
> the page after every visit, or "automatically"?   Perhaps it's maintaining
> the previously submitted values in memory and not clearing them out until
> you close and re-open the browser.  So when you hit the "Back" button and
> resubmit with different values, the cached values actually override that and
> prevent the second submission.

Thought of that already. :)  I've tried emptying the cache, clearing
the history, all of that, with no change in results. Even tried
quitting the browser, and waiting a day to try again. (The ultimate in
apathy.)  Also, I've avoided the back button as a means of returning
to the page, and have a link that loads the page afresh rather than
just "going back". (Though I suppose a browser will ultimately decided
on whether to reload or reuse.) I have tried various settings on the
cache preferences as well, with no changes.

> Is it something you can recreate offline as well as on (for
> example if you change the post method to GET, set the ACTION so that the
> page submits to itself, set the target to open a new window and view the
> values in the querystring appearing on the address line?  That way you can
> see if it's at least posting this successfully on the second attempt and
> check those values against the original)

I can probably do some experimenting along those lines... the method
has been "GET" (it's the only one that's seemed to work with the
servers I've experienced) and in this case it doesn't seem to matter
what the action requests. It's not even getting to the point of
seeking an action to follow. I click on the submit button, and nothing
happens. But, I'm going to play with that a bit tonight and see what
happens...

~ The U.P. Web Maestro (Nathan Lyle)

  E-Mail: nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com
  Online: www.upwebmaestro.com
   Phone: (906)485-4806

"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." - Robert Firth.