Re[2]: .Net (Was: Re: suggestions please)

by Nathan Lyle <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:08:13 -0500
 To:  Emerald Spirit <emerald_spirit(at)yahoo.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>...In this case, we're
> using the Intranet project as a sort of test in
> feasability.  This way, we can get a handle on the
> architecture and determine its abilities without
> affecting our customers.

This in itself I think is a good idea. :)

> As for the Java controversy - I can probably argue
> both sides of the fence.  I actually preferred doing
> this project in Java (JSP, servlets etc), but my
> company's primary focus is MS technologies - so that's
> where their strength is.  Since I wanted to build a
> site that is as easy as possible to maintain,
> realizing that I'm no expecting to stay at my current
> position long, I wanted to make sure it isn't a
> technology that only I and one other person has
> expertise in.

I think if Microsoft didn't have the marketshare they already have,
things like .Net would be just that... something that a few people
really know. I guess I was speaking mostly because of my fears that
Java will be damaged by Microsoft bailing on it. I don't *know* that
Java will be hurt, but I'd really like to see it stay and keep
developing. (Which means more people using it not less)... :)

I'm familiar with your situation to a degree though, the University
I've worked at as a student for a few years now has recently decided
to become a Microsoft platform sort of place (along with the decision
to become an IBM ThinkPad University). Because of this, I've had to
plan on Frontpage being used instead of anything else, and IE viewing
web pages instead of Netscape, etc. It would be nice (I think each of
us would agree) if we could convert the world to our favorite tools
and platforms, but that wouldn't be reality now would it. ;-) (Back I
go to dreaming...)

~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)

Email: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Phone: (906)485-4806
  Web: www.nathanlyle.com

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." - Cato the Elder (234-149 B.C.)