Re[2]: .Net (Was: Re: suggestions please)

by Nathan Lyle <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:03:20 -0500
 To:  "Darrell" <darrell(at)webctr.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Seems like it's asking a lot for programmers and scripters to relinquish so
> much low-level control.  If I understand .NET, it is a plan to encapsulate
> programming tasks in an easy-to-use wrapper.  Great if you don't want to do
> something not covered.

I realize that many will just assume it's my generalized
anti-microsoft feelings that rule my opinions on things like this, but
what you mention is just the sort of thing I worry about. Plus the
compatibility issue.

> I haven't really researched it much, as I find plenty to keep my busy with
> PHP, Perl and SQL, so I may be totally off-track here.

I also admit that I have not spent a heck of a lot of time researching
this issue, but it has come up often in class discussions, on
Microsoft making the decision to ditch Java because Sun wanted to
stick with their any-machine-any-operating-system philosophy that Java
was created for in the first place. As I understand it, Microsoft
added some of their own flavor to Java, and when Sun didn't cooperate
the way they wanted, they switched gears and are deciding to try to
replace Java. I may be way off on this, but I *think* that's the
summation of it. And since I really like the idea behind what Java is
supposed to be and can become even more, if my understanding is
correct, it's not a brownie point for Microsoft in my book.

~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)

Email: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Phone: (906)485-4806
  Web: www.nathanlyle.com

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." - Cato the Elder (234-149 B.C.)