Re: XML and Access 2003

by "Debbie O'Meara" <debbie(at)visionsites.net>

 Date:  Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:32:17 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  "Jon Scott" <jscott(at)cpec.org>
 Cc:  "Jeff Nelson" <nelson_j(at)speakeasy.net>, hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks to both of you for the input.  Jeff, your comments were along the
lines of my first reaction when this guy told me what he was doing.
Schemer that I am, part of the reason I volunteered to research it for him
was that I figured he'd probably end up giving up on the whole thing, and
need someone to pick up the pieces when he did.  :)  Jon, since I don't
have much experience with databases, I appreciate your suggestion because
if he does come back to me I'll need to know where to start.

Debbie

> Jeff...
>
>> MS Access was not designed for this task. Period. Your friend has as
>> much chance of success as I have of mastering psychology.
>
> Now that was helpful.  =P
>
> Seriously,
>
> If you could add options, I think the list would be better served than
the path suggested in your note.

> One thing we have been doing is to work on web-i-fying our access
database information for a handheld application.  While I truly
understand the reasoning that no layperson would be able to connect
these applications without some magic fairy dust and a lot of hard work,
there are some potential tools or resources out there that might be of
help.

> Deb:
>
> Try DreamWeaver4 UltraDev.  It has a lot of info on how to connect web
> pages to a database, including ASP, JSP and ColdFusion.
>
> Actually we have it running on a couple sites connected using ASP to
> calendar events here: http://www.billiard-zone.com/specials.asp (don't
blame us for the design)

> So connecting to an access databse is possible using HTML, but for more
on XML you might want to take it up on the XML list.

> HTH
>
> Jon
>

> Quoting Jeff Nelson <nelson_j(at)speakeasy.net>:
>
>> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:36:30PM -0700, Debbie O'Meara wrote:
>> > Hi all--
>> >
>> > I spoke with a non-Web designer who's setting up his own site.  Part
>> of
>> > his intent is to sell access to an on-line questionnaire.  Buyers will
>> > complete this questionnaire and receive an evaluation based on their
>> > answers.  He said Access 2003 has an XML capability that can handle
>> this,
>> > but he doesn't know how to set it up.  I'm not familiar with it at all
>> but
>> > promised him I'd be a good citizen and see if I could find him some
>> > input--what experience does everyone else have with this?  Can he (a
>> > psychologist, no techie) reasonably expect to figure this out on his
>> own?
>>

>> MS Access was not designed for this task. Period. Your friend has as
>> much chance of success as I have of mastering psychology.
>>
>> Your friend would be best served by a competent web designer with
>> experience in database design. The skill set involved in such a project
>> requires specialized expertise.
>>
>> Have a great day!
>> -jeff

> CivicRADAR - Connecting Citizens to Government
> www.civicRADAR.com

VisionSites Web Design.
Professional, affordable Web sites in English and Spanish.
www.visionsiteswebdesign.com