Re: CFM vs ASP

by Eric Frazier <ef(at)kwinternet.com>

 Date:  Mon, 13 May 2002 22:48:32 -0400
 To:  Kid Stevens <Kidstevens(at)comcast.net>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
This just blows my mind. Why in the hell would you ever not what PHP in the
server? What is the point as a CGI? So you can do command line stuff? run
PHP jobs from cron? OH my god what a misuse! PHP is for web apps, so it
should be compiled into Apache, period. Any ISP that doesn't do that is not
worth messing with. If people want to do command line stuff, they should use
Perl, Python, or shell. geesh.

Eric

>>I like PHP, but here's something that really bothers me about it:
>>
>>You can't combine SSI and PHP in the same page.  So if you had a global
>>include file that contains, say, a navigation bar that you don't want to
>>have to repeat in every page, then you can't do it in PHP unless you happen
>>to have the module version of PHP (where you can just use the virtual()
>>fuction).  The CGI version won't let you do it.  Unfortunately, my provider
>>uses the CGI version.
>>
>>If I use ASP, includes can be used ad nauseum.
>>
>>Mike

>>> JSP
>>> Perl
>>> Python/Zope
>>>
>>> I'm PHP biased myself -- here's a couple links (they're a little stale,
>>> but worth reading):
>>>
>>> http://php.weblogs.com/php_vs_asp
>>> http://php.weblogs.com/php_vs_cold_fusion
>>>
>>> HTH

>>> --
>>> Hank Marquardt <hank(at)yerpso.net>
>>> http://web.yerpso.net
>>> GPG Id: 2BB5E60C
>>> Fingerprint: D807 61BC FD18 370A AC1D  3EDF 2BF9 8A2D 2BB5 E60C
>>> *** Beginning PHP && PHP II -- Starting May 20, 2002
>>> *** See http://www.hwg.org/services/classes
>
>--
>Sincerely
>
>Kid Stevens
>
>"I would go without or show ...
>sooner than lose for a minute the two separate sides of my head."
>Rudyard Kipling

http://www.kwinternet.com/eric
(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant