RE: Hosting recommendation

by Eric Frazier <ef(at)kwinternet.com>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:06:54 -0400
 To:  "Carol Parent" <cbwd(at)means.net>
 Cc:  <blue(at)bluesarthouse.com>, "'Hwg-Techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

Sign up with alertra.com. Use them to monitor your prospective new host for
a month or so. And then continue to use them to monitor. Sign up with a host
that has an uptime garentee and call them on it with alertra, move when they
don't live up. Control your own domain, use direct nic. Love life :)

You TOTALY get what you pay for.. But sometimes you don't even. You can't
expect great uptime without paying something for it. BY FAR Rackspace has
the best overall deal with that, with Superb.net close behind but their
support isn't as good as Rackspace. Interesting thing there, if you are
running a shared hosting site, superb.net is very good, if you are running a
standalone colo machine, Superb kind of sucks with support, but their uptime
is still very good. But still not as good as Rackspace.  If you don't use a
remote monitor like Alertra, you can't even express an opinion about the
stability of your hosting company, because you have no idea from your single
very very limited perspective. If you care, you might find that half the
time, people in LA can't get to your site, or else you can forget Europe
every few days because the packet loss gets extreme.

BTW, hi to the Missouri guy! How is business? I am from St. Louis
originally, but the other end, south county.

Eric

At 08:22 AM 10/12/03 -0500, Carol Parent wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I signed up with affordablehost.com to give it a 'test.'  Do they have a
>forum?  I noted the email list and live chat but I do not see a forum.
>
>Carol

(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant