Re: Web Portal Software

by Eric Frazier <ef(at)kwinternet.com>

 Date:  Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:16:38 -0400
 To:  cbirds <cbirds(at)earthlink.net>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
What exactly do you know about CGI? Google works as good as it ever did.
Does your host enable register globals? Maybe you should know something
about PHP before you assume it is ok, and CGI is flawed. PHP gets patched
often for security holes, CGI holes are very well known and havn't changed
for years. So it is totaly up to the programmer not to include them. The PHP
holes exist, and go on existing because admins are lazy and PHP programmers
are lazy and things like register globals stay turned on, because X piece of
software needs it to run.

Yes, that was a rant, but yes, it is all true and a sad state.

Eric

At 01:00 PM 10/12/03 -0400, cbirds wrote:
>Good morning,
>
>Does anyone have a resource for finding web portal software packages to
>download (message boards aren't needed so much as the front page with
>the calendars, etc) such as -
>
>vportal.com
>movabletype.org (saw this and don't like it)
>php-nuke
>
>It doesn't necessarily have to be free but should be PHP-based and run
>on Linux/Apache server.
>I suppose if there were a good one that ran on plain CGI I might be
>interested in that too.
>Yeah I know, but It doesn't have to be that secure...
>
>Thanks!
>..J

(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant